Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing spam filtering and secuirty

From: Dana Rawson <absolutezero273c () nzoomail com>
Date: 19 Sep 2003 20:22:42 -0000

Chris,

I am looking at possibly outsourcing scanning of my e-mail(the same as Tony) for spam and virus because of the concern
about how much time is spent maintaining an internal system.  Roughly how much time do you spend 'maintaining' your
bogofilter?

How much time, on average, is spent maintaining other systems?

thx.

Dana

Hi.

I would say that if you control your own email server, I would just implement
something locally.  If you don't own manage your own email server, then I
don't think you will be significantly secure by letting that same company
filter your spam.  If you open it up to yet a 3rd company, then obviously
your risks increase.

If you are using sendmail, or qmail, I would take a look at bogofilter.  It is
available at sourceforge, and it is open.  I have done wonderful things with
this package at my place of employment.  After about a week of training, it
was better than 99% effective, after two months, it was better than 99.999%
effective.  It is simple to use, just plugs right into a procmailrc -- and
fast.  We have a rather wimpy email machine, pentium III with ide drives and
it doesn't even break a sweat on processing.

I have also heard good things about spamassassin, but found no need to pursue
it since bogofilter is working so nicely.

Maybe a little more than you wanted, but my too sense :0).

Good luck.

Chris