Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Filtered v. Closed v. Open

From: alias () securityfocus com
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:39:18 +0300

On Friday 19 September 2003 21:46, Jonathan Sanders wrote:

What is the difference between a filtered port and an open port?

I assume you use Nmap. In this context, a port is registered as closed when
there is no prossess running that listens to conections to that port.
Normally you receive a RST as a responce. On the other hand, you have a port
reported as filtered when a firewall blocks packets and (typically) drops
them ( -j DROP). Then no responce comes back. Note that a filtered port is
unknown to you whether it is open or closed.

 When doing a port scan using nmap, I had several come back
saying 25/tcp was an open port, but after checking, the supposed host
did NOT have SMTP service running.

How did you check? It is possible that a prossess other than an mail server to
run at port 25/tcp. Did you try -sV at the command line? It works miracles
from Nmap 3.40 onwards.

So 25 being open just means the firewall is allowing that traffic right even
though there's no service running on that port?

No. Open is a port when it will accept() connections, therefore a process must
be running and listening to that port. And yes, to see a port as open, the
firewall must allow access to it.

Guess my question is still what is the difference
between filtered, closed and open ports.

A post to nmap-hackers () insecure org or nmap-dev () insecure org would be more
illuminating (and presumably correct)

Thanks...
Jonathan

Anytime