Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Stop browsing the web through GP?

From: "Faisal Masood" <faisyuet () wol net pk>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:40:31 +0500

Well as said earlier, restrict access to IE or better use some good
firewall where you can restrict individuals.

I've been using MS ISA Firewall for the last 2 years for restricting
users to access certain sites & to manage net access effectively.

Using group policy .... well there is no such option.

But off the way you can do one thing. Open Group Policy of the OU whose
users you want to restrict. There check Internet Explorer settings.
There is a setting where can specify LAN settings for the browser of
that OU users. Say if u have a gateway / firewall named NetServer
listening for proxy requests at 3128. In GPO, IE settings enter some
dummy entries say.... DummyServer with any port e.g 3128. Also make sure
to set a GPO setting where users can't change their IE LAN settings.

So now what happens, when users from that OU try a connect to a site,
they would get no reply as their request would be going to non-existent
proxy. Using this method those users can browse your local sites.

Give it a try ;)

Regards

Faisal Masood (FM)

Lahore, Pakistan