Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File Encryption - Laptop

From: "wbradd" <wbradd () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:48:34 -0400

SecureDoc by winmagic

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Wakelin [mailto:Ross.Wakelin () gen-i co nz]
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 7:11 PM
To: Ethan Harris; security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: File Encryption - Laptop

Hi,

The product I have had the most success with is called
SafeBoot, from Control Break International.

The enterprise version of this product gives you the
normal fully encrypted hard-drive, with a password required
to start the system etc. but it also lets you control
who has access to the system remotely.  When the laptop
connects to the network (lan, dial-up, vpn etc.) it talks
to an enterprise console, and you can set things such as
who can start the laptop, who can logon etc.  Its really
nice in that you can flag a user as disabled, and the
next time they connect to the network, this setting is
updated on the laptop, and they are instantly locked out!

Its one of those products that "just works".  Give it
a try.  I'm not related to the company, just a consultant
with many customers satisfied with this product.

Ross Wakelin
Solutions Architect

gen-i
  technology*passion*success

Charles Luney House, Christchurch, New Zealand
Ph: +64 3 353 0800
Mob: +64 21 334 380
E-mail: ross.wakelin () gen-i co nz
Web: www.gen-i.co.nz

* The Might Of Our People Equals The Power Of Our Company *