Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: File Encryption - Laptop

From: "Nero, Nick" <Nick.Nero () disney com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:41:49 -0400

I recently had to set a standard on this myself.  I would recommend
Windows XP with SP1 and then using Encrypting File System (EFS).  This
is a completely free solution and very tight security.  The algorithm is
256bit AES so it is practically impossible to break (you have to brute
force a huge key).  There is one tool out there that will break EFS on
2k (and I think recently XP SP1), but the hacks work by exploiting key
management.

For extra sensitive laptops, like those of executives, you may want to
enable syskey in mode 3.  I have recently been experimenting with
storing the syskey instead of on a floppy, on a USB Jumpdrive mapped to
A:.  This provides paramount security - even if the laptop is stolen,
there is no access to the SAM account database to try to crack the EFS.
If the SAM is overwritten (new install of 2k) then all the certificate
info for the EFS is also destroyed leaving the files unrecoverable.
This is really a technique of last resort though.  If the key is lost
there is no chance of recovering that box - even from backup tape - so
be forewarned.

Nick Nero
CISSP