Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: File Encryption - Laptop

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:37:17 +0200

On 2003-09-15 Chris Berry wrote:
From: Sean Earp <smearp () mac com>
Windows 98 is NOT a secure operating system by ANY stretch of the
imagination and you can not use EFS with it.  Even password
protecting the machine offers you NO protection, as you can bypass
the password by simply hitting the escape key.

I totally agree that win98 is NOT secure, however, for this particular
problem there is a registry hack.

System Key: Hkey_Local_Machine\Network\Logon
Value Name: MustBeValidated
Data Type:    Reg_Dword
Value Data:   0 = disable, 1 = enable

But beware that you will need an authentication server for this (most
likely a DC), so it's probably not really practical for a notebook. I
read once that you can get this to work without a separate server by
using Microsoft Family Logon, but I haven't tried that myself.
Also keep in mind that anyone with physical access to the machine can
easily bypass this setting, since it is possible to use regedit.exe in
DOS mode to import a specially crafted .reg-file.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm