Security Basics mailing list archives

re[2]: book recommendations

From: Travis D.Ronat <tronat () ahcp net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:11:01 -0500

I'm very new to the security field and found "Building Internet Firewalls, 2nd Edition" from O'Reilly a great resource.
 It goes into detail about each of the major protocols inner workings and their potential problems.

my .02

Travis D. Ronat
System/Network Administrator

 I might recommend "Hacking Exposed".  It's a good broad-level overview
 of security and hacking that includes a basic introduction to some of
 the technologies.  It goes from giving you basics on TCP/IP to very
 specific recommendations on how to use 'nmap' and 'snort'...   Good for
 the Intermediate computer geek who understands networks but may not
 grasp all of the intricacies of the protocols, etc.

 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072227427/002-5162664-8409624

 There are hundreds of others, but the first edition of this book (now in
 4th edition) is what got me started.

 Eric

 -
 --

 ---
 [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus Scanner]