Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: military strike possible?

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:18:44 -0500

Perhaps the same way that we have demonstrated excellence in the MidEast
with pur marvelous job of tracking down Bin Ladin or Saddam?  You really
think it matters?  And of course, Cities in Iraq and cities in
Afghanistan had no (ordinary) citizens in them.  "Crossing the line" for
cyber attack was what I was asking about.

SMiller () unimin com wrote:

Jim,

First, how do we track the culprits down and demonstrate, if not to a legal
nicety, at least to a logical certainty, that there is no mistake in
identification?  Second, unlike most military and paramilitary personnel,
hackers and crackers are usually located in neighborhoods with (other)
ordinary civilians.  How do we prevent what the Pentagon cavalierly refers
to as "collateral damage"?  Do we employ the same surgical precision
demonstrated by the IDF in Gaza?  Assuming that we can fulfill those
requirements (I'm skeptical) I still have a problem as there is not only no
statutory law, but no real custom that informs us about when a cyber act
crosses the line from civilian crime to military attack.  <sarcasm>Even if
all else was favorable, I suggest that we might first wish to execute the
culpable fool who routed such vital traffic over the public wire, and/or
the bandwidth salesman who assured him that his virtual circuit was
actually physically dedicated and immune to public backbone server
outages</...>  To keep this from becoming a political debate, I won't even
go near an analysis of the actual performance of the authorities who would
be charged with determining that an attack had occurred and formulating the
response.  I believe that a near-consensus was recently reached in this
forum that the concept of propagating "beneficial" viruses to immunize the
computers of the "computer illiterate" was badly flawed; IMNSHO this idea
is from the same category, but is far worse...

Scott Miller

                      "Meritt James"
                      <meritt_james@bah        To:       "'security-basics () securityfocus com'"
                      .com>                     <security-basics () securityfocus com>
                                               cc:
                      10/28/2003 12:11         Fax to:
                      PM                       Subject:  military strike possible?

Going from the premptive strike philosophy demonstrated in Mideastern
countries, what are your thoughts on a military strike against (as yet
unseen) "cyberterrorists" a'la
http://www.msnbc.com/news/985295.asp?0si=- if there were extranational
agents tampering with identified components of the infrastructure to
the extent that they were risking human life?

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
phone: (410) 684-6566

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to