Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Setting up secure windows xp network

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:53:48 -0700

From: Danny <drh26 () drexel edu>
Windows XP comes with a half decent built in firewall. Go into your network card properties, click on the advanced tab and check the box marked "protect my computer and network my limiting or preventing access to this computer from the internet" By default this blocks *all* connections to the IP that the network card has assigned to it, so you may want to play around with the settings of the firewall, if you don't want anyone to even know your gateway machine is alive on the internet just leave it as the default since it doesn't even reply to a ping.

Uh yeah, except for the fact that it's completely useless vs. IPv6 packets.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"All I want is a few minutes alone with the source code for the universe and a quick recompile."