Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Setting up secure windows xp network

From: James Taylor <james_n_taylor () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 17:39:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Anna,

This will be considered a bit of a crappy solution by most
sec professionals, but for your network and, sorry if this
is incorrect, level of perceived expertise, it might be
suitable. You do need some protection that you can easily
manage. I suspect that both Norton and Mcaffee would work,
but need a level of tweaking though.

Who not look at the commercial versions of Zone Alarm? Then
just modify the outgoing traffic to allow what traffic you
want and add your (external?) mail and DNS servers to the
'trusted zones". It's not great but you should be able to
scan yourself (scan.sygate.com) and find yourself
protected. There is a wealth of information and help
through the Zone Labs forums. You might also want to load
Zone Alarm (not the free version) on the individual
workstations.

Then run the MS Baseline Security Analyser to check and
recommend tightening the gateway.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/Security/tools/tools/MBSAHome.ASP

Regards
James

--- Lachlan McGill <Lachlan.McGill () au logical com> wrote:
As a very simple method, you can try just blocking ports
on the network card
level in its TCP/IP properties. This is very simple and
also not necessarily
the most secure.

You should be able to get some success with third party
apps such as
Nortons, Mcafee and Zone Alarm. Its just a matter of
configuring them
properly to suit your setup.