Security Basics mailing list archives

Re[2]: suggestions on a good firewall

From: Malte von dem Hagen <DocValde () gmx de>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 19:10:17 +0200

Hallo Danny,
am Freitag, 23. Mai 2003 um 20:51:40 schrieben Sie:

If you are talking about a solution for a corporate environment and if
you have the budget for it, go with the cisco products, the main reason
i say this is because you have the ability to get support from the
Cisco staff.

...if you pay a lot of money for the CCIE you need to open a prio1-case
and furthermore the money for the actual Cisco Support, right?

Granted you have OpenBSD mailing lists and what not, but
if you have an OpenBSD firewall/VPN that is mission critical and
something breaks you really don't have much instant support other than
google and hope someone else has had the same problem before.

Even here in good old germany, we have companies who live by providing
support for BSDish systems. Furthermore, the mailing lists and
newsgroups esp. on BSDs are of very high quality, and a "simple"
firewall on a -STABLE-system shouldn't cause severe problems - we aren't
on Linux ;-)

But you're not totally wrong: Cisco ships the developers from India or
anywhere else to your site, if you are "Premium Customer" and have a
problem that needs this attention. Theo de Raadt won't do that ;-)

Regards,

Malte

--
Malte von dem Hagen