Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Non Disclosure Agreements

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:19:32 -0700

  It seems to me that the work that they're hiring you for
is not likely to produce discoveries of the form "program
XXX is vulnerable to exploit by doing YYY" -- the sort of
thing Bugtraq would be interested in -- but rather more
"company AAA has currently deployed a version of XXX that
still contains known vulnerability YYY".
  Publicizing such a discovery might, in itself, be construed
as an attack on (or incitement to attack) company AAA.

  California has a new law requiring disclosure of actual
compromises (not vulnerabilities), and other jurisdictions
may follow suit.  As long as the agreement makes it clear
that you are not responsible for ensuring compliance with
such requirements, I don't think there's a problem.

David Gillett