Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Telnet vs PcAnywhere

From: Chris Travers <chris () travelamericas com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 19:43:45 -0800

Igor D. Spivak wrote:

1)Neither telnet nor PC Anywhere fall under the definition of a VPN <---
virtual private network

True

2)Telnet should not be used to grant access from the UNTRUSTED to the
TRUSTED network (internet to lan for example). Telnet sends all information
in clear text. PC Anywhere is more secure, as it allows for encryption, but
its not recommended.

Actually, a correction is due here--

*Be default* telnet sends all information in clear text. However the MIT Kerberos telnet package contains a telnetd which allows you to encrypt the entire session and use single-signon.

3)telnet should be replaced by SSH ALWAYS <--- there is no reason to use
TELNET, unless managing an older device, that supports telnet exclusively --

Can someone provide some information on what the real difference is between kerberized SSH and kerberized Telnet is for secure environments? Assuming Telent is set to only allow encrypted connections via Kerberos. (Granted this is not common usage, but I am curious). You can read the info files on Kerberos or the specifications as you like.

Unfortunately the telnetd packaged with Microsoft SFU does not support encrypted sessions, and I am not aware of any servers for Windows that do.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers