Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Telnet vs PcAnywhere

From: "John O'Connor" <joconnor () ll mit edu>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:27:56 -0500

Tony

     I would use SSH instead of Telnet.  Telnet passes everything in the clear including passwords. SSH does encryption
and is more secure.

     If you are  using Windows 2000 server, I would consider terminal server.

     If you are using NT server I would push VNC back through the SSH connection.

     If you are using UNIX or Linux server I would push X back through the SSH connection.

 John O'Connor

Tony Lindsey wrote:

Folks,

What is the difference in security protection/features between granting an outside vendor VPN access using TELNET
versus using PCANYWHERE?  Some of our vendors need vpn access to their servers inside our network..and I have seen
the firewall rules set up both ways.

In my discussions with the firewall administrators, security people, network engineers, server administrators,
etc...it seems as though the people are using telnet and pcAnywhere interchangeably.  I was always under the
impression that telnet was more restrictive.

Tony Lindsey
Audit and Risk Management Group
Managed Medical Services LLP
U.S. Division