Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Telnet vs PcAnywhere

From: Andreas Happe <andreashappe () gmx net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 02:29:40 +0100

In article <001b01c2e4dd$3d565a90$6401a8c0@bashar>, Igor D. Spivak wrote:
2)Telnet should not be used to grant access from the UNTRUSTED to the
TRUSTED network (internet to lan for example). Telnet sends all information
in clear text. PC Anywhere is more secure, as it allows for encryption, but
its not recommended.

the telnet server could encrypt the data stream. I think that is
specified in the telnet docs, so if you're using a telnet server without
encryption/authentification it is you fault.

3)telnet should be replaced by SSH ALWAYS <--- there is no reason to use
TELNET, unless managing an older device, that supports telnet exclusively --
in that case telnet should be used over a VPN.

well, there are a lot more telnet clients than ssh clients out there and
telnet can be encrypted.

just my 0.25 cents.

just me .2 (Euro) cents.

Andreas,
please don't produce further tofu
--
 - Debian? - "This is our project and we can do whatever we want with it."
                                 Michael Stone <mstone#debian.org>