Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: scrambling perl source code

From: "Dana Epp" <dana () vulscan com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:01:37 -0700

Hey Charles,

Although I do not know to what extent you need to obscure your code, I can
say right off the top of my head that fretting about obscuring your project
by scrambling it is not an effective way to increase the security of your
code, or decrease the attack surface. Anything that you can scramble in your
master sources can just as easily be descrambled by a determined attacker.

Maybe it would be more beneficial if you could let us know what the end goal
is that you wish to accomplish. Are you trying to protect your intellectual
property that is invested in the code? Are you wishing to prevent others
from auditing it? Are you looking for ways to protect the code at the point
of distribution?

There are better ways to address all these types of situations than
"scrambling" the code. Perhaps if you could expand on what it is you truly
want to accomplish, we can help you out.

---
Regards,
Dana M. Epp