Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: scrambling perl source code

From: "Benjamin A. Okopnik" <ben () callahans org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:10:21 -0400

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 04:18:51PM -0400, Charles Lacroix wrote:

hi, i found a couple of free/non free scripts that are able
to scramble the source of my perl scripts. But now starts
a new problem.

How can i scramble the whole project and
not messing up mod_perl exported variables and methodes
in all my other scripts ?

I want to scamble my modules and my scripts that go with them.

You're wasting your time. There's really no effective way to obfuscate
Perl code; if you think there is, you're simply unaware of the Perl
debugger and O::Deparse/B::Deparse. Take a look at perldoc -q "hide the
source"' and <http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=243011> for why
trying this is futile.

If you want to hide your source, use C or another compiled language (and
even with that, note that decompilers today have become pretty slick.)

Ben Okopnik
'Manners' evolve to avoid conflict in crowded situations. Usenet (and this
newsgroup in particular) is crowded.
 -- Tad McClellan in comp.lang.perl.misc

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm