Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to obtain a yahoo username off a computer

From: "Anders Reed Mohn" <anders_rm () utepils com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:55:57 +0200

Hello!  We have a security issue and need to know who is using a
particular Yahoo user ID from within our company.  We are about 90%
certain of the person's identity.

Three words for you:  CAN OF WORMS

Run this by your legal department before doing anything.

That said, people have come up with a variety of smart solutions,
of various complexity.

However,  if you know

1. who he is.
2. what computer he is using,

there is no easier way than to sniff packets on the network,
and see whether he/she connects to a Yahoo server (and in one
or more of these packets, the address will be shown in plaintext).
That is, unless you have a proxy server, which can log the full
requests.

Cheers,
Anders RM :)

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm