Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to obtain a yahoo username off a computer

From: Mike Dresser <mdresser () windsormachine com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:14:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Potter, Tim wrote:

Hello!  We have a security issue and need to know who is using a
particular Yahoo user ID from within our company.  We are about 90%
certain of the person's identity.  This user has been deleting his
cookies and temp Internet files.  We want to search his computer to see
if Yahoo ID xxxx is somewhere on his computer.   We know the Yahoo user
ID - we just need to confirm that this person is using it.  We don't
want to contact Yahoo because we don't want to go down the legal road
needed to get them to release the info.  Any ideas?
Thanks,
-Tim

Create a webbug on a server you control(1x1 pixel .jpg or something)

Email the yahoo account, and when he opens it, it will download the
webbug, and that will show up on your machine with a time, ip(which would
belong to your netblock), and the url that he accessed.

Send the email when you know the person will open it at work, otherwise
he might get it while at home, which will defeat the purpose.

Mike

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm