Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to obtain a yahoo username off a computer

From: "Carpio, Brian" <Brian_Carpio () csgsystems com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:03:24 -0600

Yea,

Pull his hard drive and use a data recovery application to recover the data, you can simply plug the hard drive into a
linux box an run the strings command and grep for the UserID. Even though the data has been deleted it hasn't really,
when deleting data the data doesn't relly get over written.

Or you can implement user policies and prevent him from deleting his log files, or even copy them off his box every so
often, or even, just use a program like VNC or PCAnywhere or something and just watch what he does all day...