Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [security] VPN vs changing routes

From: Martin <martin () i2net com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:52:57 -0700

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 11:44 am, Keenan Smith wrote:

My understanding of it is that with a VPN solution you are creating an
encrypted tunnel over the internet between 2 points. With your solution you
are routing traffic from a remote LAN to a local LAN with no encryption. I
guess it depends on what sort of traffic you are going to have, and if you
would want people to see what it is you are transfering. What i am picturing
is that you would have a T1 connection for each location to the internet,
from different providers, and you owning and controlling the programming on
the routers.

All,

Given a single user in a single location with a static IP, besides
encryption, what would be the difference between using a VPN to connect to
the corporate network vs. changing the routing to make the corporate
network the first hop?

It seems to me that the latter combined with a firewall rule and NAT would
function the same way as a VPN without the overhead.

So other than encapsulating all data between the network and the VPN
client, is there any advantage to using the VPN over a change in routing?

Thanks in advance for all the good advice.

KC Smith

~~~Ensuring that suave and debonair sophistication is always a part of IT

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm
-