Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall and DMZ topology

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:37:53 -0700

From: Erik Vincent <evincent () ndexsystems com>
             2:   internet -->  Firewall --> LAN
                                                     --> DMZ
If the Firewall is crack, the DMZ and LAN will be unprotected. It is far easier to crack a Windows/Linux Box when there is no Firewall at all.

In my point of view, never use a Firewall with 3 NIC for the above reason. Of course if you are on a tight budget...... I know that CISCO PIX router, use this kind of configuration (#2).

Well, I think the two firewall setup would only be more secure if you were using different firewalls, otherwise whatever cracked the first one, would most likely also crack the second.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall
But steel - cold steel is master of them all." -- Rudyard Kipling

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.
Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.
Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm