Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall and DMZ topology

From: "Des Ward" <des.ward () ntlworld com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:53:48 +0100

The first one does not have to use two separate firewalls, just have an
extra NIC to segment the LAN and DMZ.

You bottom two examples are as follows:

The first one is far too complex and was how I thought a DMZ was supposed to
be until I realised that it just wasn't needed.

The second means that all traffic has to traverse your LAN to get to the
'Unprotected' DMZ systems and also could leave your internal LAN open to
attack.

The main thing to remember is that the DMZ is designed to be accessible to
the outside world.  You do want this segmented from the rest of the LAN in
the easiest way possible.

Just my .002667 cents worth (After converting from the BRITISH and not
ENGLISH pound)