Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall and DMZ topology

From: "Steve Bremer" <steveb () nebcoinc com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:04:08 -0500

In theory yes, however, if your administration isn't perfect, it would
actually LOWER your security stance.  Kind of goes against the KISS
principal unless you have enough staff/time to keep a close eye on it.
 Guess it all depends on your size.

True, but I figure that's what I'm paid for ;-)  Like you said, it goes
back to administration.  What is complex for one person, may be
easy for another.

I was thinking more along the lines of Linux on one firewall and
OpenBSD on the other.  Knowing one version of *nix, usually makes
it easier to use/configure another.  However, I could see where
using a combination like Cisco PIX + MS ISA  or even Linux + MS
ISA would require a broader skill set to administer properly than two
versions of *nix.

Steve Bremer
NEBCO, Inc.
System & Security Administrator

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm