Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ghostly mail ports

From: Brian Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:30:18 -0500

At 12:45 AM 1/8/03 -0000, joe wrote:
I have a fairly good understanding of the tcp/ip model and i think i
understand what ports are for! but i cant understand that on my box, i have
the 2 default mail ports (25 and 110) open. Its a windows 2000 box, service
pack three. Im pretty sure im not running a mail server of any description.

Port 25 is SMTP, and port 110 is POP3.

Are you running Exchange server, or have IIS installed?  IIS has basic mail
services.  Also, do you have Norton Antivirus?  Earily versions of NAV
E-Mail protection install a SMTP/POP proxy which might be what that is.

Brian

Brian Bruns
Founder, The Summit Open Source Development Group
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources
http://www.2mbit.com
ICQ: 8077511

No spam tolerated.  By sending an e-mail to this account, your
server may be subjected to an open relay/open proxy test as part
of our ongoing efforts to reduce spam.