Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ghostly mail ports

From: adam <adam () adamreifer com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 23:20:41 -0600

Are you running a virus scanner, such as Norton AntiVirus?
This behavior is often caused by AntiVirus software that scans incoming and
outgoing email.

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 06:45 pm, joe wrote:
Hi, im new to security and this is my first post, so be gentle :)

I have a fairly good understanding of the tcp/ip model and i think i
understand what ports are for! but i cant understand that on my box, i have
the 2 default mail ports (25 and 110) open. Its a windows 2000 box, service
pack three. Im pretty sure im not running a mail server of any description.

The ports appear in box scanline and superscan eg

C:\>sl -bht 1-1000 192.168.0.1
ScanLine (TM) 1.01
Copyright (c) Foundstone, Inc. 2002
http://www.foundstone.com

Scan of 1 IP started at Wed Jan 08 00:36:51 2003

- -
192.168.0.1
Responded in 0 ms.
0 hops away
Responds with ICMP unreachable: No
TCP ports: 25 110 135 139 445

- -

Scan finished at Wed Jan 08 00:37:09 2003

1 IP and 1000 ports scanned in 0 hours 0 mins 18.16 secs

but in netstat, activeports, fport they dont! does anybody know where they
have come from? i googled for ages but dont seem to be getting anywhere.

thanks

joe