Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ghostly mail ports

From: "Don Voss" <voss () albany edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:51:22 -0500

Hello Joe,

I am not a expert either ..

I would say you have IIS installed with SMTP services enabled on that
box.  Have a look under control plane|add remove programs | add
remove windows components | IIS

regards,
/don

On 8 Jan 2003 at 0:45, joe wrote:

Hi, im new to security and this is my first post, so be gentle :)

I have a fairly good understanding of the tcp/ip model and i think i
understand what ports are for! but i cant understand that on my box, i
have the 2 default mail ports (25 and 110) open. Its a windows 2000
box, service pack three. Im pretty sure im not running a mail server
of any description.

[snip]

Don Voss

"Jazz music is an intensified feeling of nonchalance."
 -- Francoise Sagan