Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Actual Security Cases

From: squid <squidvt () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:08:35 -0800 (PST)

You might want to look at "Secrets and Lies : Digital
Security in a Networked World" By Bruce Schneier.

Even though it does not specificaly cover the risks of
forwarding email from a corporate account to a
personal account such as AOL or Yahoo, it does cover
how a lot of the need to mantain security for
communications.  It sounds like you are facing a
classic problem I have seen with many managers,
ignorance to security and how it can affect there
ability to keep there jobs.

Does anybody know a good internet source of actual
security related real
life cases? I know that it's a risk to forward
corporate mail to
internet e-mail account like AOL or gmx. But I need
a case like "in
january 2001 the aol accounts of xyz got cracked and
a lot of
confidential data was published by some hackers on
the internet" to
convince a manager who thinks the risk is just
theoretical and nothing
ever happened. I would like to have such stories for
different threats
(no remote access via modem, no weak passwords, no
unenecrypted data on
laptops,...). In my opinion the stories in the book
"Tangled Web" are
just a starting point (some of them are not easy
enough for managers).

--
<- ullmic6 ->