Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Actual Security Cases

From: "theog" <theog () theog org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 02:04:29 +0200

Well , I can't really point you to such stories , but , I do ,however , have
an advise for you based on personal experiance.
make sure the proper people know about the risks (remote account hacking,
locking , being as secure as the remote mail server which is usually a
bigger target for hackers) - make sure you send a written memo or e-mail
about it to the proper people (not only your manager) , people tend to think
twice when it's their neck.

TheOg

Does anybody know a good internet source of actual
security related real
life cases? I know that it's a risk to forward
corporate mail to
internet e-mail account like AOL or gmx. But I need
a case like "in
january 2001 the aol accounts of xyz got cracked and
a lot of
confidential data was published by some hackers on
the internet" to
convince a manager who thinks the risk is just
theoretical and nothing
ever happened. I would like to have such stories for
different threats
(no remote access via modem, no weak passwords, no
unenecrypted data on
laptops,...). In my opinion the stories in the book
"Tangled Web" are
just a starting point (some of them are not easy
enough for managers).

--
<- ullmic6 ->