Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VNC

From: "Clark, Steve" <Steve () clarksupport com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:26:44 -0500

Marty,

I use Tight VNC on the internal LAN in the small offices I manage as it's
easy to use and deploy. It allows for real time access to a PC that is
having problems (usually user related) without having to make the trip.
Keeping in mind the security issues - plain text password etc..., it does
what it was intended to do.

From what I heard a few months back, there is supposed to be a new version
that uses NT security rather than the plain text of the current. What I do
is to use a generic non-admin ID/ password for access to the PC's.

May not be the best solution for larger offices but works very well in the
smaller.

regards,

Steve Clark
Clark Systems Support, LLC
AVI-EWS Charter Member
"Who's watching your network?"
www.clarksupport.com

          301-610-9584 voice
          240-465-0323 Efax

Your Referral Resource

The data furnished in connection with this document is deemed by  Clark
Systems Support, LLC., to contain proprietary and privileged information and
shall not be disclosed or used for the benefit of others without the prior
written permission of Clark Systems Support, LLC.