Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: suggestions for blocking dangerous mail attachments?

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:24:09 -0500

Beware of macro viruses in some of those common document formats.  Even
Microsoft Word uses system template documents to open RTF files, and
I've even seen maleware exploit that.

Jim

m0use wrote:

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 12:18, Meritt James wrote:
I have seen some.  Having a pdf trigger something "bad" is hard, but can
be done.  I would not lose any sleep over it.

I blocked them too initially, but the balance of security and ease of
communication forced me too allow pdf's as well as other common document
formats.

--
m0use

--