Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: suggestions for blocking dangerous mail attachments?

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:29:39 -0500

I would be interested if you manage to solve a social problem through
technological means.

"It is hard to make something foolproof because fools are so ingenious."

Jim

Juan Mejia wrote:

Hello guys,
    Tired   of   users  who  refuse  to  think twice before running an
    attachment,  I  thought  that  it  would  help  if  the  mail  was
    downloaded  from  the  institutional  server  to  a box that would
    process    it   and  change  dangerous  file  extensions  in  the
    attachments  to  something  like  "Don't  run/rename  if not sure"
    (maybe  "format.com.DRIS").  Yes,  people still can run the files,
    but  first  they would have to save and rename them. This makes it
    harder   to   execute   a  file,  avoiding  the  fast,  thoughtless
    reaction of double clicking anything they see on the screen.

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
Booz | Allen | Hamilton