Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: suggestions for blocking dangerous mail attachments?

From: Su Wadlow <swadlow () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:54:19 -0600

--On Saturday, January 11, 2003 1:01 AM -0300 Juan Mejia <jmejia () uchile cl> wrote:

         What's your opinion about changing file extensions on windows
         machines to reduce the threat of malware through e-mail?

We don't mess with changing them. We just block all mail with attachments whose types could carry viruses -- for example, we block all messages with
attachments whose names end in .exe or .scr (there's a longish list of
"dangerous" extensions that's used for the blocking).

This practice *really* reduces the threat of malware through email, since
little to none of that junk gets through. :-)

--
Su Wadlow
swadlow () utdallas edu