Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: e-mail policies

From: Bram Van Dam <gandalfbram () pandora be>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:30:20 +0100

At 10:15 25/02/2003, chris wrote:
> Dear gurus
>
> We are defining policies for the use of corporate e-mail, I have doubts
> about privacy of messages sent by employees. Since the e-mail system is
> intended for business use, we need to prevent sensitive information
> disclosure. If we respect the privacy , how can discover infidelity
> employee?
>  What is your opinion or the standard in this cases? What is the
> companies approach?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Well now, I do think there is a law somewhere that allows the board of directors (or whatever you call it) to read all email sent and received by employees to a company email address, as long as it has some kind of disclaimer (such as "Warning: all email messages may be read by .. " or something like that). At least we have one of those in Belgium!

- Bram