Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: e-mail policies

From: <mweatherford () cox net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:11:00 -0500

Pablo,

Chris's comments are right on the mark.  If the policy is loosley defined or open to interpretation, guess what...it
will be impossible to enforce.  No one wants to appear too autocratic but if you have a strict policy, it will keep
those employees with a tendency to "fly to close to the flame" from doing something they'll regret.  It will also save
you tons of time from those who want to nit-pick the details and from having to deal with disciplinary issues.

I've had both strictly defined and loosely defined policies regarding email and, without a doubt, strict is better.
You will inevitibly have a few who are unhappy with the policy but for consistency and long-term benefit of ALL the
employees, you'll be better off.

- kram