Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: e-mail policies

From: "Jones, Andrew" <andrew.jones () cre-ltd co uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:20:31 -0000

Pablo

Internet, email and PC usage policies are really coming into their own
now as a medium to ensure the security of corporate systems.

I have been involved in the drafting of policies for two companies that
I have worked for now, and apply the best trait of a sysadmin -
Paranoia, in the authoring of such a policy.

Many companies take the line, that as the machines and software is owned
by the company, then the company owns all the data and messages stored
therein.  Clauses such as

"Personal external emails should be kept to a minimum to avoid
non-necessary traffic on <Insert Companies Name Here> computer network.
Storing and circulation of offensive materials could lead to
disciplinary action."

Or, to highlight the We may watch what you do feeling
"Employees are given computers and network access in order to assist
them with their performance of their jobs.  Therefore employees should
have no expectation of any privacy in anything they create, store, send
or receive using the companies computer systems."

Mail me off list if you would like to see my companies full policy to
give you something to work with.

Regards

Andrew Jones HNC, Net+
Information Systems
Carter Retail Equipment Ltd
Tel: +44 (0)121 250 1000
DDI: +44(0)121 250 1154

Andrew.Jones () cre-ltd co uk
Disclaimer:
CRE. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this email in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender on
0121 250 1154