Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: e-mail policies

From: theog <theog () theog org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:54:15 +0200

I dont think preventing e-mails from going out with sensitive information helps here , if you dont trust an employee , simply implement file permissions , deny "untrusted" employees access to sesitive files , a cdrom , floppy , Zip drive ,backup tapes or any other media can do the trick of "stealing" information not to talk about ftp sites etc.... implement a strong internal security , that will be far more usefull then any content filtering you do.

However , try surfgate from finjan..... http://www.finjan.com/products/surfingate_mail.cfm

pablo gietz wrote:

Dear gurus

We are defining policies for the use of corporate e-mail, I have doubts about privacy of messages sent by employees. Since the e-mail system is intended for business use, we need to prevent sensitive information disclosure. If we respect the privacy , how can discover infidelity employee? What is your opinion or the standard in this cases? What is the companies approach?

Thanks a lot.

--
T h e  O  g
Liran Cohen