Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Suggestions Needed

From: "chris" <chris () byteme no>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:24:16 +0100

I'm a home user rather new to firewalls. I have a spare pc I want to use
as a firewall machine for our local lan of 2 workstations w/cable modem.
I'm wanting a linux/unix flavor os for the firewall system. Would I be
better off using a stripped down os that is tailored for firewall
machines or something like redhat/freebsd? Would would anyone suggestion
as a starting place to learn.

Thanks!

Check out killerwall (www.killerwall.net) - a firewalling script for linux
using ipchains or iptables, aimed at building and maintaining a dynamic fw.
Could also look at ASL (www.astaro.com).  Nice web interface for
maintainance, mrtg reports, lots of features.  Boot from CD, install,
configure, reboot, run.  Free personal license.

- chris