Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Annoying virus being mailed to me

From: Bob <bob () crucialpc com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 15:34:59 -0500

Hey Chris and all,

We have seen some of this on our network as well. It (I-Worm/Sobig) appears to be just another worm that spreads via email on Windows boxes. Like so many of the others, once it infects a users machine, it collects their email addresses (from WAB, HTML, DBX, EML, and so forth) and sends itself back out to those unsuspecting people. It uses its own SMTP to mail infected messages (which is why it appears to originate from big () boss com). The original IP changes because it is actually being sent from various other infected people, as opposed to being sent from one specific person.

So, I don't think you are actually being targeted. You just happen to be in the address book of a few infected people.

Bob