Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Actual Security Cases

From: "Jeffrey C. Keyser" <jkeyser () poss com>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 17:03:36 -0500

There are stories in the media of identity theft, mass credit card fraud and various forms of industrial espionage on least a monthly basis.

The bigger issue is that security MUST come from top down. I'm not sure of the of laws in your corner of the globe, but you may be able to convince him of his personal liability if information assets for which he's responsible are compromised. Even if he/she isn't legally liable for the compromised information, your organization may (spelled should) still hold this person responsible.

In the US we have HIPAA, which governs the handling of personal information. Building on your AOL example...If a physician Emails a patient's medical information "in the clear" he/she could be facing serious legal repercussions.

If you need to convince this idiot of the importance of protecting his/her information assets, it may be time to start looking for a new job. You don't want to get caught "holding the bag". At a minimum keep a paper trail to protect yourself WHEN the compromise occurs.

Good luck.