Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Messenger service abuse (from inside the network)

From: "Nero, Nick" <Nick.Nero () disney com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:07:08 -0500

I recently had to head this one off too. With a GPO simply disable the
service as part of a machine policy.  Also, apply perms to that registry
key so that it takes an Admin to reactivate the service.   Even
disabling it should work though.  Cause even if someone re-enables it,
the policy will update and disable it again.

I just did that to 1000 servers to head off the Messenger service bug
last month.