Security Basics mailing list archives

Re[2]: Messenger service abuse (from inside the network)

From: Alexander Lukyanenko <sashman () ua fm>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 00:34:32 +0200

Hello Shawn et al.
Thank you all for the responces...

SJ>     One account for all those students...*wimper*.
300+students' accounts for a 10-boxen domain powered by one wimpy
Cel 1200 would kill the poor server's storage.
It works fine, even when there's Unreal running at the DC %)
Don't tell me about redundancy, they'll wait for logon for some 10
minutes if the DC is down. :) The AD domain is mostly for fun there,
no time-critical stuff, just a playground to learn some administration
basics without doing any real harm if something goes wrong.

SJ> You just angered
SJ> the Audit gods! I assume they are using the net command for it:
SJ> net SEND /DOMAIN:YOURDOMAIN I-Hax0r-U
they {abusers} make it even simpler:
net send * foobar

SJ>     Just ACL the net command to SYSTEM, DOMAIN ADMINS, etc. Make
SJ> sure you got everything locked down on the system (gpedit.msc). Also
SJ> make sure they aren't installing any software for messenger spamming.
Don't worry, everything is GP'ed to the `minimum working' state, they
can't write even to the HKCU, not to mention that they can't control
services, install programs etc,  but the messenger service (or an analogue)
is still needed... Pro'lly I'll have to write one myself (won't be
hard, as I have a remote administration project at rced.sf.net,
currently in a neglected state).

SJ> Shawn Jackson
SJ> Systems Administrator