Security Basics mailing list archives

Re[2]: Messenger service abuse (from inside the network)

From: Alexander Lukyanenko <sashman () ua fm>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:39:47 +0200

Hello Mr. Tony J. Camp
The box IS secured, no CD-ROM drives are present, floppy drives are
disabled from the BIOS (which is password-protected), the HDD is the
only device mentioned in the bootup sequence. The physical
modification is not possible (the users dare not to do anything to the
hardware).
The /boot partition (errm, no /boot on Windows, I mean the C: drive
where the ntldr lives) is NTFS and is correctly ACL'ed.

CMTJ> For this to be effective, the box will need to be physically secured as
CMTJ> well.  Disable CD booting in the BIOS, password protect the BIOS, and put a
CMTJ> padlock on the case (to prevent BIOS reset by jumper).  Otherwise they could
CMTJ> just boot to a certain cd, blank the local admin password, and reset the ACL
CMTJ> on the net command.

CMTJ> -----Original Message-----
CMTJ> From: Shawn Jackson [mailto:sjackson () horizonusa com]
CMTJ> Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 7:48 PM
CMTJ> To: Alexander Lukyanenko; security-basics () securityfocus com
CMTJ> Subject: RE: Messenger service abuse (from inside the network)

CMTJ>   One account for all those students...*wimper*. You just angered the
CMTJ> Audit gods! I assume they are using the net command for it:

CMTJ>   net SEND /DOMAIN:YOURDOMAIN I-Hax0r-U

CMTJ>   Just ACL the net command to SYSTEM, DOMAIN ADMINS, etc. Make sure
CMTJ> you got everything locked down on the system (gpedit.msc). Also make sure
CMTJ> they aren't installing any software for messenger spamming.

CMTJ> Shawn Jackson
CMTJ> Systems Administrator
CMTJ> Horizon USA
CMTJ> 1190 Trademark Dr #107
CMTJ> Reno NV 89521
CMTJ> www.horizonusa.com

CMTJ> Email: sjackson () horizonusa com
CMTJ> Phone: (775) 858-2338
CMTJ>        (800) 325-1199 x338

CMTJ> -----Original Message-----
CMTJ> From: Alexander Lukyanenko [mailto:sashman () ua fm]
CMTJ> Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 11:58 AM
CMTJ> To: security-basics () securityfocus com
CMTJ> Subject: Messenger service abuse (from inside the network)

CMTJ> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
CMTJ> ---
CMTJ> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
CMTJ> ----