Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hunting for Mr Badmouth

From: Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net>
Date: 27 Aug 2003 09:38:38 -0700

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 16:46, Bob Walker wrote:
I'm hoping this board can help me.  I've been tasked with trying to
track down an individual who posted some comments to a yahoo message
board defaming a company.  Is there any way to track this individual,
short of a court order to yahoo?  His profile is private, and (duh!)
he's not responding to postings to email.

Any ideas on a direction to look or a tool to use would be greatly
appreciated.

Bob

You'd have to get a court order, it's not for Yahoo! Inc. to decide if
something is libel/defamation or not.  And, once you do, if you do (it's
usually better to ignore the posts and since it's a public forum, you
have every right and ability to respond to defend yourself (thus making
it more difficult to hold Yahoo! Inc. liable in any manner that would
allow you to use a court order to make them provide logs to the
authoritative entity) or for anyone to have reason bother with your
problem.  I don't mean that in a non sympathetic way when I say that.
Also, you have to remember that it will take a while and the person
could be using a proxy server or some other less (or non) track-able
method to access the board where the comments are being posted.  And,
are these really damaging your reputation to where it's costing you
enough money, or are you just angry about it?  Most people will ignore
people blasting each other on web boards and don't believe everything
they read.  The people that do, well, they are not worth worrying about
anyway.

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com