Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hunting for Mr Badmouth

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:39:45 -0400

Welcome to the wonderful world to "track the hacker!"  A relevant
question:  Do you desire just "tracking him down" or do you wish the
evidence suitable for admission into a court of law?  There are
different requirements and if you start one without consideration for
the other you may accidently "poison the well"...

Jim

Bob Walker wrote:

I'm hoping this board can help me.  I've been tasked with trying to
track down an individual who posted some comments to a yahoo message
board defaming a company.  Is there any way to track this individual,
short of a court order to yahoo?  His profile is private, and (duh!)
he's not responding to postings to email.

Any ideas on a direction to look or a tool to use would be greatly
appreciated.

Bob

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
Booz | Allen | Hamilton