Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hunting for Mr Badmouth

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:35:08 -0700

  Well, I think you have three basic options:

1.  Get somebody who knows him to tell you who he is.  Since you haven't
    given us any way to recognize him, I guess you're not pursuing that
    here.

2.  Find someone (to/who can) hack into Yahoo's profile system.  This
    would presumably be illegal (even if Yahoo goofed and accidentally
    made it trivial...), so I'd be kinda surprised and disappointed if
    you got any takers here.

3.  The court order to Yahoo.  (If the message board captures and displays
    a source IP address, that may give you someone else to direct a court
    order to, his ISP -- or a relay he was using at that moment.

  It may be simpler (and perhaps better in the long run) to refute his
comments and so undermine his credibility, than to seek some kind of
legal relief.

David Gillett