Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall Recommendations

From: Valery Baranov <val.baranov () revlon com>
Date: 26 Aug 2003 19:10:11 -0000

I personally recommend ZoneAlarm Pro
I would not recommand ZoneAlarm Pro (search Google for latest infon about
ZA), but recommend OutpostPro or Look'n'Stop 2.04 instead, see

       http://www.agnitum.com/php_scripts/compare2.php
(good comparison chart) and
       http://www.looknstop.com/En/download.htm

But I STRONGLY recommend that you test whatever firewall you pick with
GRC's LeakTest.
Don't mislead with this test, it's not enough to pass just this test -
it's pretty simple and any FW will pass this test. But ... you should pass
ALL 5 TESTS.See

        http://www.pcflank.com/art21.htm
to download the leak tests, or
        http://www.looknstop.com/En/leaktests.htm

for further info. Download tests from these sites and ... good luck  ;-)
You can use "pcflank" site as the first (but not the only!) resort to test
your PC for vulnerabilities. An excellent site to test your system almost
entirely is "ShieldsUp!" from Gibson Research Corporation (GRC) at

        https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Regards,
         Valery