Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Exchange Server and External Access (VPN)

From: "Gregory M. Brown" <gbrown () alvalearning com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:31:53 -0600

With all due respect to the man from Disney, VPN's are an incredible
mail solution.  In my world of doing US Gov't contracts, we are severely
audited.  We can not run Win 2k Terminal Services ANYWHERE.  That is how
intensely insecure TS for Win 2k is.  Also, it is well known that TS
only has 7 bit encryption.  Citrix is way expensive and administratively
heinous.  VPN's are considered secure, robust and cost effective because
you're leveraging an asset you already have!

Firstly, ports that are opened are negligible.  For MS, ports 1723, 500
and 47 are all that is needed.

Secondly, as far as packet overhead and number of hops goes, it really
isn't that big of a deal.  My biggest choke point is the T1.  All
traffic destined for the VPN peer network is encapsulated and secured.
NetBIOS calls will run through the tunnel.
My network has not one WINS or legacy desktop OS.  Native AD.  DNS is
the key.  That would be port 53 tcp/udp.  You don't need to create a
rule on your FW for that...  If it is destined for the peer network, the
packets will simply pass through the tunnel.  Last I heard, VPN tunnels
were a helluva hard crack.

Thirdly, when configuring a MS VPN, simply apply packet filtering to
accept only VPN traffic.  All other services that are not critical
should be shut off.  This way, ANY other request for services will be
rejected.  Period.

Lastly, users connect via a connectoid I made from the Connections
Manager within the IIS Admin kit.  After a few try's, I got it right...
Users simply click on it and voila.  Keepin' It Simple Sir!
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
gb