Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Personal Firewall Recommendations

From: Dave.Hartley () uk delarue com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:15:33 +0100

www.kerio.com

-----Original Message-----
From: LordInfidel [mailto:LordInfidel () Directionweb com]
Sent: 16 August 2003 05:08
To: 'Kryptos'; security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: Personal Firewall Recommendations

A home system on a T1???

Well, if it's actually a T then he has to be using a router.
And most good routers that are capable of handling a T1 connection
also have the ability to have basic filtering capabilities.  I would
first look to the router and see what it offers.

My personal recommendation though would be to put a linux firewall in
between
the router and his network.  And if his 2K machine is the only
machine on his network, and it does not need to share files
between any other systems.  I'm not talking FTP, web services or
such, I am talking about LAN type file sharing, ie a MS domain/workgroup
setting.

He could simply uninstall client for MS networks and file and print
sharing from the network adapter.  doing this automatically eliminates
99% of the script kiddie connection attempts.  Since the machine will
no longer listen on those ports.

LordInfidel