Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Syslog over Internet

From: "matt willson" <mwillson () sbcglobal net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:27:46 -0700

Altoh I do see the dreamy logic behind the plan, there are too many cons
to even attempt to such a deal. From end to end, espicially from a
country to the next, your personal data logs would probably go thru 20+
routers, and networks.

What if someone gets into your machine?
They could find the syslog server easily, and quite possibly, get into
it the same method as yours, if not another.
If they were good. And I mean good. They could send a couple of packets
and wipe/shutdown the log(s) and server out on the otherside.

Freeway
What if someone discovers the routing to the log server, and aims at a
router somehwere inbetween you and them? Wham, bam thank you mam. Simple
sniffer would pick it up in a heart beat, not to mention be able to
poison the logs on their way to the server.

Bank
Ok, so your logs have made it this far, they're almost home free! Except
that a guy with a ski mask is waiting behind a tree(or process list) and
waiting to net your ass once in. You'll be broke as a joke, with no
hope, when you realize your logs have all been edited.

In that regards, I would strongly suggest against it. Research satellite
signals, and communications, bwahaha if you really want to do somethin
like that.

Best of luck